8 Reasons to Eat Blueberries + Why You Should Freeze Them
Just when you thought that the health benefits of blueberries could not be any more plentiful, new research has found that freezing the superfood actually increases the berry’s nutritional content. Research found that frozen blueberries are equally nutritious as fresh blueberries, even after 6 months of freezing.
The ice crystals that form during freezing disrupt the structure of the plant tissue, making the anthocyanins more available. Anthocyanins are a group of antioxidant compounds that provide various systems in the human body with protection.
Blueberries may be the world’s healthiest food…
Blueberries go head-to-head with strawberries and pomegranates in antioxidant capacity. When it comes to eating healthy foods, the greener or redder, the better!
It’s no coincidence that people associate bright color with nutrition. Anthocyanin, which works wonders in our bodies, is also the colorful pigment that gives many foods their color.
Organic blueberries have higher nutritional contact then conventional berries…
Don’t believe industry studies that claim organic food is equal in nutrition to conventional; it’s simply not true.
A study compared the total antioxidant capacity of organically grown versus non-organically grown blueberries and found that the organic blueberries had significantly higher concentrations of phenol antioxidants and total anthocyanin antioxidants than conventional berries.
8 Reasons to Eat Blueberries Daily:
1. Improving Memory & Motor Function: shown to improve cognitive function
2. Eye Protection: proven to protect the retina from unwanted sunlight and oxygen damage
3. Heart: significantly lowers risk of developing heart disease by regulating and relaxing arterial elasticity in the vascular wall, and improve blood flow
4. Reduces Risk of Alzheimer’s Disease & Dementia: anthocyanin improves memory and mental fluidity, protects against brain cell loss; stimulates nerve cell growth and facilitate better communication between nerve cell processes, slowing the aging process
5. Digestion: offers antioxidant protection of the digestive tract by combating free radicals, which can cause cancer
6. Toxic Heavy Metal Protection: creates a force field that acted as a barrier against cadmium, protecting cells from toxic heavy metal damage
7. Blood Sugar: has a favorable impact on blood sugar, even for diabetics; significant improvement in regulation of blood sugar levels
8. Nervous System: provides nerve cells with protection from oxygen damage and fuels the nerves with energy