Picture a big glass goblet filled to the halfway mark with water. How do you see it – half-full or half-empty?
Consistently finding the glass half-empty, and the world as a difficult place, is a hallmark of negativity.
Research has found that a negative outlook can contribute to everything from depression to heart disease to lowered immune system function. It can affect your:
- weight maintenance
- social life
- ability to hold a job
Now, imagine what it would feel like to approach life from a place of positivity, fun, connection, health, and possibility. Sounds good, right? To help wipe out negativity, try one or more of the following action steps this week.
6 Simple Tips to Help Make a Positive Switch in your Life:
- Go complaint-free. Try going an hour without complaining and see the positive things in your life. Next, try a day, a week, and so on.
- Keep a gratitude journal. Each evening, list 10 or more things that you are grateful for.
- Give compliments freely. Notice the good in others. Praise your loved ones and others you interact with.
- Find the beauty everywhere. Notice its gorgeousness.
- Share your good news. Studies show that sharing happy events brings even more happiness within yourself and to others around you.
- Focus on what you want. Do not focus on what you don’t want or have.
Maintaining a positive outlook takes practice, and the more you do it, the easier it gets. The payoff – a happier and healthier life – is absolutely worth the effort!