ADHD, Autism, and Sensory Processing Disorder are neurological conditions that involve issues with the communication system in your child’s body. The Nervous System is a communication system between the brain and the body that is used to:
- Perceive information from the environment through our five senses (see, hear, taste, touch, smell)
- Process and organize the information from our environment before the brain determines an appropriate response or behavior
Children with ADHD, Autism, and SPD have difficulties with this communication system and often struggle with perception, coordination, and behavior control.
What Causes These Disorders?
These neurodevelopmental disorders are not the result of a medication deficiency. Instead, they are caused by a disturbance to the nervous system. In 90% of cases, these disturbances are traced back to the birth process. The use of forceps, vacuum extraction, c-section, or a difficult delivery often result in spinal misalignments (subluxations) at the top of the neck. These subluxations place stress onto the brainstem and alter the body’s ability to perceive, process, integrate, coordinate, and respond to sensory input from the environment. If the brain is not able to perceive its environment properly, it will not be able to respond appropriately. This is not a behavior or OUTPUT issue, it is an INPUT problem where the child’s nervous system is not able to function properly. Pediatric chiropractic adjustments correct these spinal misalignments and reduce any disturbances to the nervous system so that your child can express his/her full potential and function optimally!
Common Signs of Neurological Dysfunction
- Use of interventions during the labor and delivery process including: c-section, vacuum, forceps, pulling or twisting the baby’s head and neck during delivery
- Colic or Reflux during infancy
- Torticollis and/or plagiocephaly
- Constipation or digestive issues
- Frequent sinus infections or ear infections
- Speech delays
- Abnormal motor development (i.e. skipped crawling)
- Delayed in meeting developmental milestones
- Poor balance or coordination (i.e. frequent falls or injuries)
Although chiropractors do not “treat” ADHD, Sensory Processing Disorder, or Autism specifically, many parents have found pediatric chiropractic care extremely beneficial, even miraculous for their child.
Find Out More
If your child is exhibiting signs of ADHD, Autism, SPD, or any other neurodevelopmental disorders, please call our office. A thorough pediatric chiropractic examination will show if there are any imbalances or disturbances to your child’s nervous system, and if chiropractic care can help.